Friday, July 6, 2018

Mingo Falls in Cherokee - It's Still Beautifully Majestic 40 Years Later

Mingo Falls in Cherokee NC © Katrena
My parents were brave souls. They took all four of us kids camping in various locations in America and even Canada. Some trips were more memorable than others. For me, one such trip was going to Cherokee, North Carolina.

About forty years ago, my family headed to Cherokee with a pop-up camper, sunscreen, and lots of food. We camped at Mingo Falls Campground, and I particularly remember hiking to see the waterfall located there on the Cherokee Indian Reservation. Visitors are still welcome to come and enjoy the natural beauty of the waterfall without charge.

Waterfall in Western North Carolina © Katrena
In 2018, I took my kids to Cherokee. Although we stayed at a local hotel, I wanted to see if I could find that beautiful waterfall again. As we grow older, sometimes those old memories pale. The high things aren't really all that high when peering from an adult's perspective. Would Mingo Falls be one of those memories that was bigger in my imagination as well?

We found a map at our hotel, and the receptionist had grown up in Cherokee, so she was very helpful in giving us directions. We turned onto Big Cove Road off Hwy 441 and signs for Mingo Falls Campground were very easy to spot. Big Cover Road is quite curvy - those with children who get carsick may want to bring emergency supplies! Thankfully, the drive on Big Cove Road was pretty short. There is a small parking area at the trailhead.

Free Hiking Trail in NC © Katrena
I noticed right away that a few things had changed in forty years. When I was a young girl, I remember walking up a dirt trail with lots of roots. The trail now has a sign to mark its start. The 0.4 mile trail now includes 161 steps. One of my kids looked up and called it the Kung Fu Panda trail, but this trail is much shorter than the trail at Stone Mountain State Park. Those with mobility challenges would find it difficult to navigate the steps, but you can hear Mingo Creek as it meanders right by the parking area.

Mingo Falls Hiking Trail in Cherokee Indian Reservation © Katrena
Mingo Falls rises to about 120 feet. Another addition since my previous view of the waterfall is the addition of a viewing bridge that traverses the creek at the base of the waterfall. We visited in late June, and I think the waterfall was beautiful. The wonder of waterfalls is they assume different personalities depending on weather patterns. The same waterfall might be much bigger and louder after many rains or delicately peek out from behind an early morning fog.

161 Steps Look Better from the Top of Mingo Falls Trail! © Katrena
Was it worth going back to to a nostalgic waterfall after all those years? For me, that answer was yes. I hope this impressive cascade thrills future generations who scale those 161 steps in search of Mingo Falls!

Mingo Falls is Still Beautiful 40 Years Later © Katrena
Visit the Cherokee web site for more information about Mingo Falls. Thanks so much for visiting my Travel NC With Kids blog! You might also wish to read some of my other articles such as:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!